As you may or may not know I work from my home office as a knowledge worker (a.k.a. help desk monkey) for a university in the bay area, here are some tips that may make you be more effective in your work at home life…
10. Don’t work in a T-shirt and sweats-you will slowly lose the will to live.
9. Don’t even think about playing video games during work-or you’ll soon find yourself eating government cheese.
8. Always do more than expected-so your butt can stay at home and work.
7. Resist the temptation to wear a cape during working hours-trust me, bad things will happen.
6. Dress in a professional manner during work hours-it will help you keep your mind focused on the task at hand.
5. Don’t let the family think that they can just turn your office into a play ground-you have to set boundaries.
3. Keep in touch with the people in the office-you don’t want folks to forget you exist.
2. Use some kind of web based calendar to keep track of all you daily assignments-me and my wife use Google calendar because its sweet and simple.
1. BACK UP ALL YOUR IMPORTANT DATA-my computer went belly up last week but I had all my bookmarks backed-up with Foxmarks, I have my important notes and junk backed up on Writely and I have a machine in the office that I can log into with Logmein that has all my files backed up to, I also created a unattended Windows XP install disk with nLite so I was back up and running in about a hour.
Powered by Qumana