My wife has accepted a new assignment on her job and starting in September she will be working full time from home. Of course this was greeted with much rejoicing in the UbetTech household, but at the same time this is going to be very challenging, because you see I have a mixed marriage. I GTD and she doesn’t, in fact we share a rather large home office and right now her desk is cover with a small mountain of "stuff" and if you ask her she will tell you that this is her own personnel filing system. All of my efforts to clean the area under her iron fisted control have been meet with shall we less than a enthusiastic response. So can a GTDer and a Non-GTDer really share an office? We all know that we’re better than the sloppy undisciplined Non-GTD folks but how do we hide our contempt and walk in love? Well here are some tips on how I’ve managed to obtain some level of peace in my mixed marriage…
- Don t force the issue-lead by example and demonstrate your effective productive lifestyle in front of your messy mate.
- don’t laugh at their failure-when the pile of filth on their burst into flames please resist the temptation to roll on the floor in laughter…really on a serious note only offer your assistance when asked for, you see the holier than thou attitude only works in church.
- Communicate what you really need-I don’t know about you but its hard for me to work in the midst of disorder so me and my wife our going to work together to re-design the office so she can have her piles and I can have some measure of order and peace.
- Don’t try and talk your GTD lingo to your wife-I suggested to my wife that we use Goggle calendar because its simple and easy to use and we could both keep track of our busy schedules, next I’m going to suggest that we have a weekly meeting to review our schedule, I’m not going to call the meeting a weekly review even though thats what it is.
- Don’t worry be happy-If your getting things done and are being more effective and happy in your life that might be a better way to influence your wife than making snotty comments about her swollen Franklin planner.
My wife walked in on me while I writing this post so I could be in a little trouble.